Sunday, June 07, 2009

Fourteen - More "My Maps" Travel Maps


View Istanbul Travel 4 in a larger map - Travel direction goes east to west.

I can't believe I tried to walk from the metro station to the hotel. I had no idea where I was going. General and pretty much vague - sound familiar? Later, find I was completely heading in the wrong direction!


As a geographer, lack of familiarity is the challenge to seek out. When there are maps, and you are somewhere, you're really not that lost. I had no maps though. It can be frustrating especially when you are on a schedule or something. Great way to make some people angry...
(funny too, because I can't hang with change so well...)

If there was any time I was frustrated with any of the travel it was today. I just couldn't walk any more. It was pretty hot too. 80's to 90's. Made me think of surfing in Costa Rica. After so many days you don't have any more energy to do what you've come to do.

Also, check the terrain on the western end of the day's travel. More hills. More fucking hills.

It's frustrating no doubt to not be able to do what you wanted to do, or back off and mellow out, so I hailed a Cab and got it over with.

Shades of the bike trips I guess... You have to stop at some point. Or like the cat that I heard on NPR at sometime hazily last evening (his book: INTO THICK AIR: BIKING TO THE BELLYBUTTON OF SIX CONTINENTS).

He talked about how you can have the best and the worst conditions alternating constantly.

When it's good, it's really good; however, when it sucks, it can really suck. I was excited because this wasn't as bad. If it was 10 or 15 years ago, I might've cried a little bit.

I know now it was precisely because, then (when I was a green-horn), I wasn't sitting on a fat wallet with magical SJSU credit card and a few crispy hundred dollar bills and some Turkish Liras: Enough to give the cab driver a nice tip when I got back to the hotel.

And, when I got back to the room, I put the lounge chair right by the sealed-up floor-to-ceiling window and watched the freeway interchange; and watched kids fly kites, throw rocks and break shit in the "brownfield" for about two hours.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home